Skip to main content
Back Office

When It Comes To Visas, Age Is More Than Just A Number

By 16 May 2022July 1st, 2022No Comments

They often say that age is but a number, but unfortunately in the Australian visa world, that number is extremely important. Your age affects what visas you are eligible for, so it is important to forward plan, to ensure that you are not caught out and find yourself ineligible by a few months.

Working Holiday Visa (416)/Work and Holiday Visa (462)

The Working Holiday Visa and Work and Holiday Visa allow young people to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. Each visa has a list of eligible countries attached, affecting whether you enter the country under a 417 visa or a 462 visa.

However, the 417 and 462 visas are some of the Australian Visas which have strict age requirements. In order to be eligible, you need to have already turned 18 years old but also have not yet turned 31. Essentially only those who fall within the 18-30 age range will be eligible. (or 35 years old for some countries).

To apply for a second 417/462 visa, you need to have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your second visa, and also still have not turned 31 years of age. Therefore, if you wish to apply for a 417/462 for the entirety of two years, you must not be older than 29 when you apply for your first visa. (or 35 years old for some countries)

Learn more about the 417 Working Holiday Visa and the 462 Work and Holiday Visa.

Skilled Independent Visa (189)

The Skilled Independent (189) Visa allows you to work and live in Australia as a Permanent Resident. To be eligible your occupation must be on the Medium to Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), and have 60 points to be eligible to submit an Expression of Interest. If you are successful you will receive an invitation to apply for the visa.

You must be under 45 if and when you are invited to apply for the visa. An Expression of Interest can be held for up to two years, so if you send in your EOI when you are 44 and turn 45 before you receive an invitation, you will no longer be eligible for the visa. For that reason, it is safer to send through your EOI before you turn 43, meaning that you will remain under 45 for the length that your EOI is in the system.

Learn more about the Skilled Independent (189) Visa

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)

Direct Entry

The ENS Direct Entry stream is a visa that grants Permanent Residency to successful applicants. To be eligible you need to be nominated by your employer under the Direct Entry stream, have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia or be a temporary resident who did not qualify for the Temporary Residence Scheme.

To be eligible for ENS Direct Entry you need to be under the age of 45, however, in limited circumstances, this age restriction may be waived.

Temporary Residence Transition Scheme

The Temporary Residence Transition Scheme (TRT) is for workers who have worked in the same occupation with their nominating employer;

  • hold a subclass 457, 482 TSS or related Bridging visa A, B or C
  • usually, have worked for your employer for at least 3 years full time while holding a subclass 457 or TSS visa
  • have been nominated by an Australian employer whose nomination was approved in the 6 months before you apply

Currently, you must be under 45 years of age to be eligible for the TRT stream. There are limited circumstances where you may be able to apply even if you are over the age threshold.

Learn more about the Employer Nomination Scheme

Temporary Skill Shortage 482 TSS Visa

The TSS 482 Visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years.

Currently, there is no age restriction on a TSS 482Visa, however, there is the potential for an age limit to be introduced in the future reforms.

Learn more about the 482 Visa

Talk to us . . .  [email protected], book an appointment to discuss or call 02 9407 8700

We look forward to hearing from you.

Pendragon Team