Skip to main content

They often say that age is but a number, but unfortunately in the Australian visa world that number is extremely important. Your age affects what visas you are eligible for, so it is important to forward plan, to ensure that you are not caught out and find yourself ineligible by a few months.

Working Holiday Visa (416)/Work and Holiday Visa (462)

The Working Holiday Visa and Work and Holiday Visa allows young people to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. Each visa has a list of eligible countries attached which will affect whether you enter the country under a 417 visa or a 462 visa.
However, the 417 and 462 visas are some of the Australian Visas which have strict age requirements. In order to be eligible you need to have already turner 18 years old but also have not yet turned 31. Essentially only those who fall within the 18-30 age range will be eligible.
To apply for a second 417/462 visa, you need to have completed three months of specified work in Regional Australia while on your second visa, and also still have not turned 31 years of age. Therefore, if you wish to apply for a 417/462 for the entirety of two years, you must not be older than 29 when you apply for your first visa.
Learn more about the 417 Working Holiday Visa and the 462 Work and Holiday Visa.

Skilled Independent Visa (189)

The Skilled Independent (189) Visa allows you to work and live in Australia as a Permanent Resident. To be eligible your occupation must be on Medium to Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), and have 60 points to be eligible to submit an Expression of Interest. If you are successful you will receive an invitation to apply for the visa.
You must be under 45 if and when you are invited to apply for the visa. An Expression of Interest can be held for up to two years, so if you send in your EOI when you are 44 and turn 45 before you receive an invitation, you will no longer be eligible for the visa. For that reason, it is safer to send through you EOI before you turn 43, meaning that you will remain under 45 for the length that your EOI is in the system.
Learn more about the Skilled Independent (189) Visa

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)


Direct Entry

The ENS Direct Entry stream is a visa that grants Permanent Residency to successful applicants. To be eligible you need to be nominated by your employer under the Direct Entry stream, have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia or be a temporary resident who did not qualify for the Temporary Residence Scheme.
To be eligible for ENS Direct Entry you need to be under the age of 45, however in limited circumstances this age restriction may be waived.

Temporary Residence Transition Scheme

The Temporary Residence Transition Scheme (TRT) is for workers who have worked in the same occupation with their nominating employer for at least two years while holding a 457 visa, and the employer wishes to offer them a permanent position in that occupation. From March 2018, the length of time required will be extended to three years.
Currently, you must be under 50 years of age to be eligible for the TRT stream. However, this age limit will be reduced to under 45 years of age as of the 1st of March 2018. There are limited circumstances where you may be able to apply even if you are over the age threshold.
Learn more about the Employer Nomination Scheme

457 Visa/Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa

The 457 Visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years. However, from March 2018 the 457 will be replaced by the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa. To read some more about these changes click here.
Currently, there is no age restriction on a 457 Visa, however there is the potential for an age limit to be introduced in the future reforms.
Learn more about the 457 Visa

Purnima Kabra