Skip to main content
482 Visa and SponsorshipTemporary Skill Shortage VisaVisa and Immigration

Do Your Skills Fall Under Australia’s Critical Skills, Industry Sectors…?

By 6 August 2021August 30th, 2021No Comments

Travel exemption for individuals working in critical Industry sectors…

The Commissioner of the Australian Border Force may grant an individual exemption if you are a non-citizen:

  • travelling at the invitation of the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority for the purpose of assisting in the COVID-19 response
  • providing critical or specialist medical services, including air ambulance, medical evacuations and delivering critical medical supplies
  • with critical skills required to maintain the supply of essential goods and services (such as in medical technology, critical infrastructure, telecommunications, engineering and mining, supply chain logistics, aged care, agriculture, primary industry, food production, and the maritime industry)
  • delivering services in sectors critical to Australia’s economic recovery (such as financial technology, large scale manufacturing, film, media and television production and emerging technology), where no Australian worker is available
  • providing critical skills in religious or theology fields
  • sponsored by your employer to work in Australia in an occupation on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)
  • whose entry would otherwise be in Australia’s national interest, supported by the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority.

An individual can submit a request for a travel exemption under this category or a business can submit a request on their behalf. The applications of multiple travellers within the same group/business can be linked, so that the requests are considered together.

Applicants working in a critical sector must provide evidence of current employment or offer of employment  in Australia. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. All documents need to be officially translated into English.

An exemption should generally be applied for at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before planned travel. Urgent business travel will be considered inside this timeframe.

The request must include:

  • traveller details: name, DOB, visa type and number, passport number, proposed residential address and phone number in Australia
  • reasons for travel: why your request should be considered for Commissioner discretion/exemption
  • supporting statement: setting out how you meet one of the critical skills/critical sector grounds for exemption
  • accompanying evidence: the request should be accompanied by supporting evidence, such as a letter from a business involved in the provision of critical goods and services, Australian Government or state and territory government authority advising why your travel is critical at this time

Individuals must hold a valid visa and an exemption from the Commissioner before they travel.

To know more about the Critical Skills Sectors and exemptions or any of the TSS 482 Skilled Occupation List, please don’t hesitate to contact us or call on 02 9407 8700 through [email protected]

Source: Department of Home Affairs

Pendragon Team