A provisional visa for skilled workers across Australian States…
Here’s a state and territory wise update for the skilled visa program 2021-22
New South Wales (NSW)
NSW has received 4000 places for subclass 190 640 for subclass 491. As part of the new process, the state will invite candidates to apply to a Regional Development Australia (RDA) office during a submission window and up to seven days after a submission window closes.
For 2021-22, the submission windows are the months of –
3 NSW Nomination Stream for the financial year 2021-22
Stream 1 – Living and working in NSW
- Hold a positive skills assessment for any of the skilled occupation list
- Have been living in a designated NSW regional area for a minimum of 1 year before applying
- Have been working in a nominated/closely nominated occupation in regional NSW for a minimum of one year before applying
Stream 2 – Have recently completed studies in regional NSW
- Hold a positive skills assessment for an occupation in your nominated region’s skilled occupation list
- Have completed studies in regional NSW in the last 2 years
- Have lived in the regional NSW during their course study
Stream 3 – (Applicants residing in any Australian state with occupation in the NSW regional list) and Skilled in an occupation required in NSW
- Hold a positive skills assessment for an occupation of your nominated region’s occupation list.
- Should be currently residing in Australian state/territory
The Department of Home Affairs has provided Victoria with 3,500 places for subclass 190 and 500 places for subclass 491.
In this financial year 2021-22, Victoria will focus on onshore candidates who are currently living and working in Victoria in one of the seven target sectors designated by the state based on their STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medical) skills.
These seven target sectors include health, medical research, life sciences, digital, agri-food, advanced manufacturing and new energy, emission reduction and circular economy.
The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491 is closed at the moment.
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
ACT will nominate those who can support the Australian economy post-COVID. The criteria you must meet before applying for ACT 491 is:
- Should be a resident in Canberra for at least 3 months
- One of the following:
- Nominated occupation is on the ACT Critical Skills List
- A primary holder of the subclass 457/482 visa sponsored by ACT employer
- Must be working for an ACT employer in Canberra for at least 3 months
Western Australia (WA)
WA has received 1,100 places for subclass 190 and 340 places for subclass 190.
There are two streams under which WA state nominations are issued: General Stream and Graduate Stream
|General stream||Graduate stream|
|Occupation must be under General Stream Occupation List||Occupation must be under Graduate Stream Occupation List|
|Must be residing in Australia||Must be residing in Australia|
|Meet language requirement||Meet language requirement|
|Must have at least one year of Australian work experience or three years of overseas work experience, in the last 10 years||Must have studied in WA for at least 2 years|
|Must have a genuine job offer in WA for a minimum of 12 months||Must have at least 6 months of job experience or employment contract in the nominated occupation|
Tasmania has received 1,100 places for subclass 190 and 2,200 places for subclass 491.
The state will continue to assess applications for the Skilled Nominated visa in this financial year which were not finalised by 30th June 2021.
Tasmania opened its state nomination program on 4th August 2021.
Northern Territory (NT)
NT has been allocated 1,000 places altogether, which means 500 places for subclass 190 and the other 500 for subclass 491.
Onshore applications can be lodged under the General Skilled Migration program while the offshore applications remain closed.
South Australia (SA)
SA nomination program has received 5,200 places for subclass 190 and subclass 491 combined, and are only second to NSW. Unlike states like Victoria, SA didn’t restrict invitations to critical occupations.
SA’s program is focused on three main streams:
- Talent and Innovators Program
- Currently working in South Australia
- International Graduate in South Australia
Disclaimer: The above is the current information as per the government websites for each state; we strongly recommend you get professional advice, from a migration agent or migration lawyer, re the above information before lodging for a subclass 190 or 491 visa.
For further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us, book an appointment or reach us at [email protected]
Source: Department of Home Affairs