Skip to main content
Temporary Skill Shortage VisaVisa and Immigration

Switching a Working Holiday Visa Employee To A TSS 482 Visa – An Employer’s Guide… All You Should Know!

By 30 September 2019No Comments

Do you want to sponsor an overseas worker on a temporary visa or are you currently employing a Working Holiday visa holder? Would you like them to continue working for you? Did you know you may be able to offer them sponsorship? It will depend on the job offer, skills and experience of the employee.

The Temporary Skill Shortage – Subclass 482 Employer-sponsored visa is designed to help Australian employers to address labour shortages.

What You Need To Do???                                                    

  • Check Visa: Confirm and check with your employee’s valid visa status.
  • Check on the occupation: The two main occupation lists are STSOL and MLTSSL. In order to sponsor your employee for a TSS 482 visa make sure the occupation exists on either of these lists.
  • Labour Market Testing requirement: As a company, you will need to show that you have unsuccessfully attempted to fill the job vacancy with an Australian applicant. You must provide evidence of recent advertising and recruitment attempts that meet specific rules set out by the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Make sure you know about the caveats: Some occupations may have caveats that set out specific requirements for the role, for example, a minimum remuneration level. Make sure your employee’s nomination meets the caveat requirements (if any).
  • Approved Sponsor: As an employer, you must ensure you have the ability to sponsor applicants/ employees. For that, you will need to hold a Standard Business Sponsor (SBS) approval. Sponsorship agreements are valid for five years and you can sponsor more than one person, provided you can justify the position of your business. However, if you have not got or cannot obtain sponsorship, you could look to use an On-Hire Labour Agreement (OHLA) company, who can sponsor your employee on your behalf.
  • Your employee may need a positive skill assessment: Some occupations may need a positive skills assessment. If required, that may take up to 12 weeks.
  • Your employee should meet the English language requirement: Your employee must provide you with a valid IELTS/PTE score (unless exempt).

For a free visa consultation, contact Pendragon today! Our experts would get back to you with your best Australian visa alternatives.






Purnima Kabra