Skip to main content
457 Visa and Sponsorship482 Visa and SponsorshipAustralian VisaVisa and Immigration

On a Working Holiday? Want to stay in Australia? Start planning NOW

If you are working in Australia under a 417 or 462 Working Holiday Visa with plans to continue working in Australia in the future, the time to start planning is now, before it’s too late.

While some people come to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (417 or 462) to explore Australia for a few years before heading home, some people see it as their first step toward making a life in Australia. There is a potential path for individuals to move onto a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) subclass 482 visa, assuming that they meet the necessary skills for a relevant occupation, and then potentially onto Permanent Residency.

You need to start the process at least two months prior to the end of your 417/462 visa, or if you are planning on staying with the company you are currently working with, at least two months before the end of your six month period.


The company you will be working for needs to have completed what is called ‘Mandatory Labour Market Testing’. This means that they have to have advertisements for your particular role out in the public domain for at least 28 days, and not more than 4 months.

If you are planning on starting a position, and the company cannot meet the LMT requirement, then you will be delayed from beginning as the company will need to advertise. This means it could be up to a month before you can even submit your visa application.

So what are the potential outcomes of applying for a TSS subclass 482 visa from a Working Holiday Visa?

  • If you get your completed application in before it expires then you will go onto an automatic bridging visa.
  • If you get your completed application in before your six months with a particular company is up then you can apply for a work extension.
  • If you current 417 or 462 visa expires before the Labour Market Testing requirement is met and your application is not in the system, you will have to leave the country and will not be able to return until the visa is approved, which could take months.

As well as meeting the LMT requirement, individuals also need to make sure that they themselves are eligible to apply for the TSS visa. This means that they either need five years relevant work experience or a degree and two years relevant work experience.

The occupation also needs to exist on either the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) or the Medium and dd. Long-Term Strategic Skill Shortage List (MLTSSL).

If you are currently on a Working Holiday Visa and want to know your visa options moving forward, talk to us. Pendragon is a visa specialist company and can help you move or stay in Australia. 

For further information please don’t hesitate to contact us, book an appointment or reach us at [email protected] or 02 9407 8700 where one of our Australian team members will gladly help you.

Pendragon Team