Skip to main content
457 Visa and Sponsorship

AUSTRALIA – 457 Visa – Freedom To Work Wherever You Want…

By 9 February 2016No Comments

There is a lot of confusion surrounding the rules of the 457 visa, as part of our 457 visa and migration service, we get a lot of enquiries regarding its limitations. One thing we’re asked on several occasions is, “can I work for whoever I want?”… Live and Work in Australia

In theory, yes, the 457 visa can allow you to work wherever you like, you are free to apply and work for any Australian company that is willing to become your sponsor, you can even change jobs just like any Australian Permanent resident or citizen. If the Australian company is not willing to or is unable to sponsor you directly, you can obtain sponsorship through a company who has an on-hire agreement with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) who can then on-hire you to your potential employer.

In fact, the Human Resource (HR) law of Australia is applicable to 457 visa holders, therefore you must be treated in accordance with the Australian HR laws, but also abide by The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) rules set around employment for someone on a 457 visa.

Basically, there are two parts to the sponsorship, one is the entity that wants to sponsor you – it has to get an agreement with the DIBP and can apply to sponsor you. The sponsoring entity does not hold your 457 visa, you hold your 457 visa approval, and you can have that approval moved to another sponsor at any time without the permission of your existing sponsor.

The entity sponsoring you for your 457 visa cannot hold you back to stay with them, nor can they threaten you with being kicked out of the country, they can however cancel their sponsorship. In which case you will have 90 days to find a new company to sponsor and employ you. You are free to move to another employer as long as you acquire another sponsor for your 457 and do not work outside the skill set you have been/can be sponsored under.

The DIBP wants this visa to allow skilled individuals to be able to stay and move around if they can find further work; they want to keep the skill in Australia. That’s why they allow 90 days for you to find further work if your current employment ceases or if you are not happy working where you are, you have 90 days to find another sponsor.

In some cases, you can work through an approved 457 on-hire company, like Pendragon, this automatically allows you more free movement around jobs.

To obtain 457 Visa sponsorship with a company who holds an on-hire agreement with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, you must secure employment in a similar area to your recent work experience, Employment offer should be on a full time/Permanent or Contract basis, Receive a fair market salary for the role on offer.

Purnima Kabra