Skip to main content
Temporary Skill Shortage VisaVisa and Immigration

Switching a Working Holiday Visa Employee To A TSS 482 Visa Holder – An Employer’s Guide… All You Should Know!

By 30 September 2019No Comments

Want to sponsor an overseas worker on a temporary visa or are you currently employing a Working Holiday visa holder and want them to continue working for you? Did you know you can offer them sponsorship depending on their skills and experience?

The temporary Skill Shortage – subclass 482 Employer sponsored visa is designed to help Australian employers to address labour shortages.

What You Need To Do???

  • Approved Sponsor: As an employer, the first stage for you is to be able to sponsor applicants/ employees. For that, you need to ensure that you have a Standard Business Sponsor (SBS) approval. Sponsorship approval is valid for five years and you can sponsor more than one person, provided you can justify the position of your business.

However, if you have not got or cannot obtain Sponsorship, you could look to use an On-Hire Labour Agreement (OHLA) company, who can sponsor your employee on your behalf.

  • Make sure you have certified copies of your employee’s qualifications: Your employee should provide you with his qualifications that are certified and verified and most importantly must be relevant to his nominated occupation.
  • Check on the occupation: The two main occupation lists are STSOL and MLTSSL. In-order to sponsor your employee for a TSS 482 visa make sure his occupation exists on either of these lists.
  • Check Visa: Confirm and check with your employee’s valid visa status.
  • Labour Market Testing requirement: As a company, you would need to show relevant evidence of advertisements for job vacancy on the recommended job portals for a minimum of 28 days to a maximum of 4 months.

  • Your employee should have a positive skill assessment: If you are thinking to sponsor a working holiday visa employee to a TSS 482 visa, you must make sure he has a positive skill assessment. That may take up to 12 weeks.
  • Your employee should meet the English language requirement: Your employee must provide you with a valid IELTS/PTE score.

For a free consultation, contact Pendragon today! Our experts would get back to you with your best Australian visa alternatives.


Purnima Kabra